Temporary Tags/Temporary Operation Permits

NOTE: Please click here to read an important announcement from the Department of Revenue regarding changes to the temporary operation permits policy.

You could possibly get one if:
  • You have title problems. 

    Items to bring are:
    • Ownership papers - Copy of Front and back of signed title and notarized bill of sale
    • Proof that something is being done to clear up problem
    • Driver's license
    • $10 fee
A check will be done to determine if the law allows an additional temporary tag/temporary operation permit. If you need further information or do not fall under the category above, contact our office at (615) 741-3101.
NOTE: Temporary Operation Permits CANNOT be issued on salvage vehicles.
Documents necessary to issue the temporary operation permit may be presented to either a participating Tennessee county clerk or directly to the Department of Revenue.  Click here to find your county clerk's contact information - please contact your clerk's office directly to ensure they can assist you.